Saturday, August 4, 2012

Let's do this!

There are a few words I would never use to describe myself. Fit, active, motivated (well when it comes to fitness), and determined however within the last month, that has all changed.


I have been a yo-yo dieter from as far back as I can remember. I was never considered a "skinny" girl however growing up I wasn't "fat" either. Once I got into my late teens and early 20's, the weight just kept piling on and we didn't know why. I went to many doctors and found out that I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, PCOS. In brief, they don't know if the weight is caused by that or if that causes the weight. Regardless the bottom line is someone with it has a hell of a time losing weight, it takes a person at least double the amount of time and effort as a "normal" person.

I was always comfortable with myself, never letting my weight be an issue for me. I've always been told how "beautiful" and "pretty" I was so it never really got me down. Granted, it sucked being the "fat" one of the group of "skinny" friends but I always tried my best to standout anyway.

I had major success last year doing the HCG drops. I was so amazed with my dillegence and determination. I was so strict with my diet, I shocked myself. The problem I see now, was it was not maintainable, which was why once I was off, I went crazy and put all my weight back on.

Caleb and I went to California in June and when we were doing a climb to a lighthouse, which was a little bit of a steep hill, I almost keeled over and died. That was red flag number one. The next red flag occured on the same trip. We were staying across the street from the maingate at Disneyland, maybe 1/2 mile walk and I was so winded by the time we actually made it in the park. I was so disgusted by myself. I have always considered myself a somewhat active person, mainly because I am on the go so much but in terms of exercise, I hadn't been to a gym in almost 3 years. When I got home from that trip, a friend of mine and I were talking about how disgusted we were with ourselves so we joined the gym.

BEST DECISION EVER! I not only signed up with a gym but I got a personal trainer, who is absolutely amazing. He has so much faith in me, he is so encouraging and motivating, I feel like he is a God send.

I now am a little over 1 month in and am seriously addicted to working out. I always looked at it like something that needs to be done but not enjoyable at all. I can actually say that I love it. I love pushing myself and seeing how far I can go. It's amazing watching my progress. When I first started, I could maybe go 4.5 for 20 minutes on the elliptical, today I stayed at 6.0 for 1 hour! I also notice the things I am able to do with Jon (trainer). It's the greatest feeling seeing my improvements. I feel like a little kid filled with excitement.

I am so glad to be on this journey. Obviously being a women and talking about weight struggles isn't the most exciting thing but I realized I need to get over it, accept it for what it is, and look at the positive I am doing for not only myself but motivating others. I have had a few friends come to me and tell me how much I am inspiring them. That to me is the most amazing compliment a person can give. I am on this particular journey for a reason so I guess if I can do something good, while I'm on this ride, then I am happy to be here.

I am going to try and do my best to keep this blog updated. I feel like it will be beneficial to me to look back on my progress but also help me when I get down. I also hope that it will inspire my friends to do the same. We can all do this together. I firmly believe that if I can do this, anyone can. Trust me, I was the last person that I ever expected to get serious about working out.

If you need inspiration, motivation, a friend to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, whatever, I am here for you. Support and accountability is truly the foundation of this. In fact, it goes hand in hand. My "cheerleaders" (as I refer to mine as), better help keep me accoutable. If they see anything or hear me say anything that looks like I may be slipping, FEEL FREE to call me out on it.

Much love to you all and thank you for anyone that takes the time to read or pay attention to what I say.

Fitness quote of the day "You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got."

No comments: